McKinsey is in search of Associates with a passion for product development/R&D, and experience in design to value (DTV) and teardowns. This client-facing role will play a key part in driving process improvement, delivering successful business results, and developing broad based strategies for a diverse set of clients.
The successful candidate will have distinctive expertise and experience in product development gained while working for a best-in-class consumer, technology, or related company. Ideally, this experience is based on a career working in multiple levels of the product development system, such as: leading product development projects, managing functional departments, senior R&D roles, and creating and/or implementing R&D processes. Additional attributes, experience and capabilities include the following:
- Experience with product benchmarking teardowns and analysis
- Skilled in improving product functionality and/or in leading others in this process
- Passionate about understanding how a product is made, and the design elements behind that process
- Able to facilitate a large cross-functional group in idea generation and prioritization
- Able to estimate the cost of a product, component-by-component
- Familiarity with product development systems and organizations
- Knowledge of the full value chain, including manufacturing, purchasing/supply management, lean, etc.
- A track record of partnering successfully with leaders outside of R&D, including finance, marketing and sales
- A strong “client orientation” with a history of influencing others and/or leading teams
- Expertise in integrated product development levers such as design to cost, DFMA, supplier integration and management, tools and levers for quality management, value chain optimization, target setting, and process flow optimization
- Experience in consumer insights/market research/writing success criteria for market tests is not required but considered highly valuable
Additionally, an Associate consultant must be a capable problem solver, able to work on highly complex problems requiring strong analytical, conceptual and quantitative ability.
Experience leading teardowns, facilitate workshops, and managing similar projects is strongly preferred.
All Operations Practice consultants possess common characteristics consistent with our Firm-wide mission. We are seeking individuals who are:
- Passionate about and committed to operations and technical excellence
- Strategic and creative thinkers
- Comfortable and adept with quantitative analysis
- Proven leaders with the ability in inspire others, build strong relationships, and create a true followership
- Able to grasp and communicate complex ideas clearly
- Collaborative team players, capable of working well with others but also autonomously with little direction
- Results-driven achievers
- Comfortable with travel (80%)
We also require the following:
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from a top tier school
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a series of progressively senior product development roles
- An advanced degree – MBA or MS ME/EE – is considered a plus