McKinsey & Company is looking for consultants with a passion for product development/R&D, and experience in design-to-value and teardowns. This client-facing role will play a key part in driving process improvement, delivering successful business results, and building client’s product development capabilities. Successful candidates will have distinctive experience in product development gained while working for a best-in-class aerospace & defense, automotive & assembly, advanced electronics, high-tech, or related company. Experience leading product development projects, managing functional departments, leading teardowns, and/or implementing R&D processes required.
From the start of a project, our implementation consultants are on the ground ensuring that implementation success is a priority. We engage at a deep level across our clients’ businesses, working in small teams to build the capabilities, systems, and processes needed to deliver bottom-line results and then ensure those results are sustained. Our work is about problem solving, coaching, and delivering lasting outcomes.
Being part of our team of implementation consultants opens up to great opportunities, including:
- Joining an outstanding and rapidly growing team
- Strong emphasis on professional development, with opportunities to develop at your pace
- Delivering impact on critical issues that confront leading businesses in North America
- Building our clients’ capabilities; encouraging them to achieve success beyond their expectations
- Delivering sustainable change which incorporates McKinsey’s latest thinking
Our roles are suited to people who can apply problem-solving and experience-based judgment to complex challenges by focusing on the critical issues and constraints that affect business performance. We seek individuals who demonstrate leadership, integrity, a sharp analytical mind, creativity, and the ability to work with people across all levels in an organization to make them successful.
- 5+ years of front-line work experience with a distinctive record of achievement and impact.
- Strong influencing, coaching and communication skills across all levels of an organization, plus a passion for seeing others succeed
- Experience with product benchmarking teardowns and clean sheeting
- Skilled in improving product functionality and in leading others in this process
- Knowledge of the full value chain, including manufacturing, purchasing/supply management, lean, etc.
- Experience with integrated product development levers such as design to cost, DFMA, supplier integration and management, tools and levers for quality management, value chain optimization, target setting, and process flow optimization
- Undergraduate degree in engineering is preferred
- An advanced degree (eg MBA or MS ME/EE) is a plus
- Comfortable with extensive travel (80%)